Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Abstraction: apart & together

I have not posted in a while and much has happened. I went to London to take part in an exhibition titled: Cohesive Clash at the Tanya Baxter Gallery at the beginning of April along with a number of other South African artists. The exhibition was a great success, and 2 weeks in London brilliant! While I was there, I had a show open at Art in the Yard in Franschhoek, with Frans Smit, titled Abstraction: apart and together. Frans and I share a studio, and so were privy to one anothers processes and progress in creating work for the show. Our style of painting differs greatly. For the show, I was exploring colourfields - layering of oil glaze onto large canvases based with silver leaf, searching for depth and bounce and light. Frans explored the abstraction of realism within portraiture. However, our works together seemed to feed off eachother, and we also did 4 collaborative works, overworking our individual styles and techniques over and into each others works.
Below are my works for the show, each measuring 150x150cm. All oil on silver leaf on canvas. I am also attaching a link to the gallery website where you can view the collaborative works, and Frans Smits amazing portraits. artintheyard.co.za











No comments:

Post a Comment